Camels top Radford 11-9 in regular season finale; clinch No. 2 seed in Big South Championship


LAX Twitter | LAX Facebook | LAX Instagram 

RADFORD, Va. --- Campbell won its regular season finale by an 11-9 margin over Radford Saturday morning at Cupp Stadium. Kayla Reilly led all players with seven points on two goals and a career-high five assists.

With the win, the Camels finished their Big South slate with a 6-1 record and officially clinched the number two seed in the upcoming conference tournament. CU's runner-up finish in the league and conference record are both new program records.

Campbell also concludes its regular season with a 9-7 overall record. It's the second-straight season above the .500 mark in regular season play and its .563 winning percentage is the highest in program history.

Melissa Placek led the Camels' scoring efforts versus the Highlanders (6-10, 2-5) with three goals in the second half. Her first two goals of the game were a part of a 3-0 run that gave Campbell a 9-6 lead with 17:29 left in the contest.

Radford responded with back-to-back goals to cut the Camel advantage to 9-8 with 8:02 left to play. That score stood for five minutes until Mackenzie Koeller and Placek put the game away with back-to-back goals in less than a minute to put CU up 11-8 with 2:47 remaining.

Callie Bonnel wrapped-up the scoring with under a minute to play, but that would be as close as Radford would get to the lead before the final whistle sounded.

Koeller found the back of the cage twice while Tina Ricci and Sami Smit each registered two points on a goal and an assist. Placek led all players with seven ground balls and six draw controls.

Merredith Bechler earned the win in goal with four saves. Jenny Davis took the loss despite 15 stops. Bonnel scored a game-high four goals for Radford while Lindsey Carroll also had four points on a goal and three assists.

The Highlanders jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first five minutes of action. However, the Camels scored six unanswered goals in the remainder of the first half and took a 6-3 advantage to the break.

Reilly opened the scoring in the second half four minutes into the frame to make it a 7-0 Camel run. Radford responded with three-straight goals to tie the game at 6-6 with 20:56 left to play.

The Camels will have some time off before opening play in the Big South Championship on Friday, May 5 in the semifinal round after earning a bye through quarterfinal play. As the No. 2 seed, Campbell will play the winner of the quarterfinal matchup between the No. 3 seed and the No. 6 seed.

Those spots will be determined following Saturday's full Big South slate. Friday's semifinals and Sunday's final will be played at Vert Stadium on High Point's campus.